Personal development, health and physical education (PDHPE)
PDHPE provides opportunities to explore issues that are likely to impact on the health, safety and wellbeing of the individual and of their community – now and in the future. It also provides the opportunity to participate in challenging and enjoyable physical activity, improving one’s capacity to move with skill and confidence.
Why study PDHPE?
By studying PDHPE, you’ll learn to:
· develop and foster resilience
· gain a deeper understanding into your personal identity and how you can use this to positively shape your future
· investigate a range of health sources and made judgements on their credibility
· understand positive and negative risk and have the skills to make an informed decision
· interpret information regarding safe, consensual intimate relationships
What opportunities will you get?
PDHPE is a practical subject, with hands-on activities a regular part of learning. These activities are further enhanced through co-curricular opportunities and excursions including:
· a drug education talk from Independent Drug Education Australia
· Love Bites – positive and respectful relationships
What will you study?
Students take part in learning a range of practical physical movement development ranging from individual improvement to team cooperative skills. The theory component includes the following topics:
· My Health
· Check your Connex
· Fun in the Sun
· Health Mind / Healthy Body
· Consumer Health
· Health in the Community
· Positive Relationships
· Bouncing Back
· Me, Myself and I
· Fake News, Big Chews
· Let’s Talk About Sex
· Wisdom – Risk Taking/Drug Use
· Invincibility – Road Safety
Physical activity and sports studies (PASS) (elective)
The aim of physical activity and sports studies is to enhance students’ capacity to participate effectively in physical activity and sport, leading to improved quality of life for themselves and others.
· Body Systems
· Nutrition and Physical Activity
· Physical Fitness
· Australia’s Sporting Identity.
· Event Management
· Sports Technology
Years 11 and 12
The following subjects may be available for you to study in years 11 and 12. There are no pre-requisites for studying these but choosing electives from PDHPE in years 9 and 10 can help you decide if you want to continue your studies.
· Personal Development, Health and Physical Education
· Community and Family Studies
· Sport, Lifestyle and Recreation Studies
· Sport Coaching.
For more information, visit the NSW Educational Standards Authority page for PDHPE.